Monday, December 29, 2008

Happy New Year

So what are you doing for the New Year's celebrations? Personally, I tried my hand at a little arson last night. That is to say, I almost burned down our house...or at least our kitchen. This is what happened: we purchased these lean beef shishkabobs (sp?) at the market and I was sure that the way to cook them would be to broil them. My mom turned me on to broiling as a great way to do meat and make it tender, and since I have never yet succeeded in making beef tender EVER I thought surely broiling would do it. As an added touch I added quite a lot of olive oil in the pan for the meat to sort of "marinate" in as it cooked. Suffice it to say this was not a good idea. The boiling oil was splashing upward & hitting the red hot oven heating coils & you can probably guess what happened....we had a full fledged fire going on in that pan in the oven. I mean, you opened up the oven & flames were leaping out. I vaguely remember yelling, "Jeffery Doss, get the fire extinguisher!!"....then my wonderful husband came & saved the day. He took that flaming pan out of the oven & the fire went out. All was well until the smoke detector went off, making us all deaf. But he handled that too! What a hero of a husband I have. Thanks, honey. I joke about this, but I was really seriously scared for about 30 seconds. I told Jeff, "God, thanks honey for helping me....I was picturing us standing out in the street watching the house burning down & the firemen spraying hoses." And over by the sink, my wonderful husband & hero starts laughing & says, "Yes, and listening to Miu (the cat) inside meowing & roasting to a crisp! ha ha ha!" Hmmmm. What's that saying about a lot can be told of a man by what exictes his laughter? Disturbing.

4 comments:

Jabberwocky said...

well, that is quite the New Years story. Thankfully you are safe, and no kitties were roasted in the making of it. :)

Nina said...

Saw your comment on Ali's blog & had to come & say "Congratulations!" Goodness, u hv a beautiful family, Sue!

That was a pretty freaky story, but thank God your husband was there to save the day! BTW I had a lot of laughs reading thru' some of your blog here - glad to see you're still employing that great wit & writing talent of yours!

Happy New Year & lots of love from an old friend!

Dan said...

Wow glad to hear you are safe, quite the story! I remember meeting Jeff briefly when may Dad and I did some work on your car once. You've got yourself a good man. Take care and Happy New Year!

Dossy and Bossy said...

Hi Nina! long time no hear/see! Was good to get your message. I was just thinking about you the other day, remembering those walks I used to take with you, to the library...must've been about 5 or 6 miles! Crazy. Sorry for the forced marches. Would love to hear what's going on with you sometime!
Dan: Hello to you, and Happy New Year! Thanks for the feedback...good to hear from you. Hope you & your family are well.

About Me

I was born and raised in Japan and moved to the US about 15 years ago. I met my husband in California and we moved to Texas 9 years ago. We have lived in El Paso and Hewitt (near Waco). We are blessed with three beautiful children, Noah, Dillon and Zoe. I am currently an undergraduate at Baylor University majoring in Social Work.