Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hmmmm

Here's an article from Slate that I thought would be interesting to some of you. I know, you probably don't have time or the interest in reading it, and if you don't, I won't hit you...har har. But I thot it was good & brings out a lot of true points. I will post a few key quotes from it, and if you want to read it all, click here. I do sometimes use the old smackeroo, but I'm wondering. I sure don't feel like a good parent, usually, when I do. And I think it's true that it leads to increased anger & bad angry/abusive reactions when a "hit" child becomes a parent themselves. What do you think?

Spare the Rod
Despite the rise of the timeout and other nonphysical forms of punishment, most American parents hit, pinch, shake, or otherwise lay violent hands on their youngsters: 63 percent of parents physically discipline their 1- to 2-year-olds, and 85 percent of adolescents have been physically punished by their parents.

The science also shows that corporal punishment is like smoking: It's a rare human being who can refrain from stepping up from a mild, relatively harmless dose to an excessive and harmful one. Three cigarettes a month won't hurt you much, and a little smack on the behind once a month won't harm your child. But who smokes three cigarettes a month? To call corporal punishment addictive would be imprecise, but there's a strong natural tendency to escalate the frequency and severity of punishment. More than one-third of all parents who start out with relatively mild punishments end up crossing the line drawn by the state to define child abuse: hitting with an object, harsh and cruel hitting, and so on. Children, endowed with wonderful flexibility and ability to learn, typically adapt to punishment faster than parents can escalate it, which helps encourage a little hitting to lead to a lot of hitting. And, like frequent smoking, frequent corporal punishment has serious, well-proven bad effects.
The negative effects on children include increased aggression and noncompliance—the very misbehaviors that most often inspire parents to hit in the first place—as well as poor academic achievement, poor quality of parent-child relationships, and increased risk of a mental-health problem (depression or anxiety, for instance). High levels of corporal punishment are also associated with problems that crop up later in life, including diminished ability to control one's impulses and poor physical-health outcomes (cancer, heart disease, chronic respiratory disease). Plus, there's the effect of increasing parents' aggression, and don't forget the consistent finding that physical punishment is a weak strategy for permanently changing behavior.

Anyway, you should read the whole thing. It's interesting.

1 comment:

King Freddy said...

I will definitely spank my children, god forbid I ever have them. Which reminds me...dearest mother, your spankings were always so wonderfully light and soft, I genuinely looked forward to them. I think you didnt like spanking me, and would kind of tentatively swat my behind. I always cried hard though and acted as though it was very painful so that you wouldnt catch on, muahaha

About Me

I was born and raised in Japan and moved to the US about 15 years ago. I met my husband in California and we moved to Texas 9 years ago. We have lived in El Paso and Hewitt (near Waco). We are blessed with three beautiful children, Noah, Dillon and Zoe. I am currently an undergraduate at Baylor University majoring in Social Work.