Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Great Expectations

So, appropos of nothing, I would like to introduce this thought I had out into the yawning void of the internet, namely: I think Disney is doing a great disservice to our children. They are actively encouraging them to buy into the concept that "You can do anything if you just believe in yourself". So many Disney songs and cartoons tout that very concept.

But consider: it's simply not true. Dillon, for example, often believes himself to be a dinosaur. Noah firmly believes he can do karate and eat high fructose corn syrup all day long. Many people on American Idol believe they can sing. I used to believe I could be a ballerina. THESE THINGS JUST WILL NEVER BE TRUE, mon enfants, no matter how much the parties involved believe in them. Are you with me?

And then these poor children watch these movies, these songs, and that theme is ingrained in them. They get unrealistic expectations of life...and then they get depressed when they get older.

"I was supposed to be an Astronaut! I was supposed to be a movie star! I was supposed to be the President of the United States!" (Ahem, Jeffery Doss)

And when it doesn't work out, they feel discouraged or even belligerent & disgusted with their lives. This does not make for a satsfied hoi-polli. I should know. I was supposed to be a princess of Jesus, ruling and reigning, COMPLETE WITH FLYING ABILITY by the time I was 25. I was ROBBED, people. I'm now 32 and can barely get my sizeable ass off the couch.

Oh but seriously, my amigos, don't you agree? There seems to be (in the States, mind you) a serious disconnect between what people percieve is their right to happiness & acheviement, and what is the reality of the situation. I blame Disney. And then, of course, when people grow up & they're neither rich or famous or even particularly good looking, they feel like their life is a let-down.

I saw this documentary one time about this, and it was very interesting. It was saying that people a couple hundred years ago used to be much more happy, even though they, like, lived in holes in the ground and pooped in their own backyards. Why? Because that was all they expected out of life. Expectations exceeding reality = unhappiness.

I have found this to be true in my own life. I have been experiencing, more and more lately, a quiet sense of satisfaction when I look around at my life. Thinking of my kids and my husband, my small life in my small town, gives me a sort of mellow joy. I really feel proud of our financial & life decisions...I feel proud and happy of the piece of the American dream that we have. But get this: I don't remember really feeling this way much when Jeff was making about twice as much money and we owned a house. Why is this? Maybe because I've adjusted my expectations. Our period of unemployment gave me a perspective on just how bad things could be, and how lucky we are to have what we have. I've adjusted my expectations on sleep, eating, free time, and life in general. I've surrendered to the babies, and I like it just fine. I find I'm much happier, actually. Go figure.

In closing, I would like to dedicate this post to a person who I believe is a fine example of making peace with one's situation & finding contentment when & where he can: Christopher, who's birthday it is today. I guess I posted for you after all.

Excuse me...I have to go now. The kids are asking for a Disney movie.

3 comments:

Babylove said...

thanks Susy, this was a great piece. I sadly too wanted to be a great ballarina :(( But I have to bring out the other side that, there is something to be said for opening the door for your children to believe there are more possibilities in your life than the "life calling" chosen by your birth into circumstance. eh-hum!! But yeah....I know this might be sacrilegious but I never let my kids get into the "disney princess" type movie. GROSSSSO! All I'm saying is really, Good post.

Dossy and Bossy said...

Yes, babylove, I agree. I think perhaps I didn't fully articulate what I was trying to say...or maybe I'm just an aging old fart who is bitter because my every dream didn't come true...sob. But seriously, I think that maybe what I should have said was that although you can accomplish many things if you believe in yourself, ANYTHING is not always possible. In order to acheive a great many things in life, not only do you have to have belief in yourself, but you have to have a killer work ethic & a huge pinch of luck, in my experience. There are so many factors that go into great success that I feel sometimes that this whole "believe in yourself to acheive your goals" is sort of saying too little. The songs should say, "Believe in yourself and work like a Turk and schtup your boss (thanks, honey!)and network with business acquaintances and consult an astrologer for auspicious dates, among other things, to acheive your goals." You know?

Jabberwocky said...

what an awesome post, and I couldn't agree more. (with the post, and the follow up thoughts). Disney's problem is, it's all magical.. from some divine stroke of luck, these characters turn from frogs to princesses, beggars to kings, blah blah -- no work involved. They don't give a realistic represntation of life (ie: working your bloody ASS off for a small measure of success). Regardless - It makes me happy to know you are more content haney. It really is the small things in life, sometimes, and not the grand occasions, that bring true happiness.

About Me

I was born and raised in Japan and moved to the US about 15 years ago. I met my husband in California and we moved to Texas 9 years ago. We have lived in El Paso and Hewitt (near Waco). We are blessed with three beautiful children, Noah, Dillon and Zoe. I am currently an undergraduate at Baylor University majoring in Social Work.