Monday, February 2, 2009

Childish Miscellany

If you have children or are around them a good deal, you will agree with what I'm saying here: there is NOTHING new under the sun when it comes to children. The things that you did when you were young, the dreams you had, the jokes you told, and you thought you were so original....all done before, and your children will do them after you. For example: the other day I popped some popcorn for the kids, the 1st time I've done so for a long time. It may as well have been both of their 1st time to eat popcorn. And Noah, upon picking up his first piece, looks at it & says, "Look, Mama, it's a dinosaur!" and then the next one..."Look, it's a mingo!" (Flamingo). Etc. And I sat there thinking, "I remember doing this exact thing when I was little, sitting there telling my family what my popcorn was...I did it all the time!" It was so funny that he had just come up with it out of nowhere. And of course, the all time favorite everywhere with every child, are poop & private parts jokes. And farts. These NEVER fail to get Noah laughing. The other day he laughed for probably 20 straight minutes because he had almost "bit Daddy on his peanuts". (Through his pants, of course. Get your mind out of the gutter.) Why was he biting there at all? I have no idea.
Also, a funny tidbit from the other day: We were outside swinging & conversing. Noah says to me out of the blue & off the topic,

"Mama, I want to teach people about Jesus. I want to teach them".

I though that was remarkable & pure of him, seeing that we haven't ever really spoken about doing that in front of him, and asked him how he wanted to do it. He says,

"They will say, 'Sir, what is Jesus?', and I will say, 'He's under the haystack, fast asleep.'"

I bit myself so hard trying not to laugh at that one. He confused "Little boy blue" with the baby Jesus sleeping in a manger.

And finally, on the subject of nursery rhymes, here are some lyrics by Noah that shouldn't be missed:
"Patty cake, patty cake,
Bake your man,
Bake me a cake as fast as you can.
Pat them, and prick them,
And mark them with the breeze,
And throw them in the oven for the baby and me."

3 comments:

Jabberwocky said...

Very Hillarious! As much as I'm sure it can be tiresome and stressful with 2 (sometimes)screaming children, you reap the rewards of being able to laugh at their "funnies"!!! I'm envious. :)

King Freddy said...

" Mark them with the breeze".....is this some sort of toddler code for farting on the paddycakes?

Dossy and Bossy said...

Thank you Audrey, I know it sure makes the way "smoother" when I can laugh. And Chris, I don't know, only your foul mind would have thought of such a thing. Perhaps it's true.

About Me

I was born and raised in Japan and moved to the US about 15 years ago. I met my husband in California and we moved to Texas 9 years ago. We have lived in El Paso and Hewitt (near Waco). We are blessed with three beautiful children, Noah, Dillon and Zoe. I am currently an undergraduate at Baylor University majoring in Social Work.