Saturday, August 2, 2008

Happy Birthday to me

So tomorrow is my birthday. I know, I know....I'm like a 5 year old. Seriously. I really thought that once I got "upwards in years" (I'll be 31 GASP) I would, like, stop not being able to sleep the night before in case the birthday fairy came or something like that. Or stop expecting everyone I know to show up at my surprise party with presents and cake. But, here we are, 31 years later and still going strong with the delusions of childhood. Oh well. I guess I can take comfort in the fact that I distinctly remember Tom (of Eva) at the office house where I lived when I was 7 creating this gem:
"Oh little town of Cleveland,
How still we see thee lie
Above thy deep and dreamless sleep
The silent stars go by.
Yet in thy dark streets shineth
The husband of Maggie (his wife at the time)
The father of Tina, and of the twins....
(And I can't remember the last line)"
It was a song to be sung on the eve of his birthday. I imagine he was in his late 30s. Of course, at the time I thought he was in his dotage. And because we're really digressing here, I remember that Mom's birthday, which fell right after his, was forgotten because we all got so much into Tom's. And she felt bad about it which consequently made me feel really bad, and so I've carried the burden of guilt for that to this day. Thanks, Mom. (Hee hee hee)
So I guess I'm not the only senior citizen in the world who still feels like a child over their birthday. So sing with me:
"Happy Birthday to me,
I live in El Paso
Which looks like Mexico,
But without all the cleanliness and greenery."
Thank you.
Also, if you would like to get me a present, a house in California would be nice. They're on sale now, I believe.

16 comments:

Michelle said...

really? i didn't know that your birthday is tomorrow. I'll have to get your email address.......
what is it again?

Feli said...

Hi Suzy,

Happy Birthday! I love you so much and hope this next year will be even better than the last.
I am so happy you have a blog, it brings me such Joy to read it! I think you are an excellent Mom, and I hope I can me a good Mom like you if / when I have kids. Take care and have a good one.

Love Michelle

crazynik said...

Bappy Hirthday to you my laf
I shall have to dedicate a post to you on my blog, in hopes of making the day just a little bit more special for you.
I totally feel you about birthdays...I always feel like I should be queen for a day, even though I know that logically it's a silly childish fantasy. Heh.
You are greatly loved and missed.
Party hearty and happy 31 xxxx

King Freddy said...

HAPPY BAASUDAY HANEY!

Unknown said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY,Suzie! I love you! I now had a photo of Dilly on my wall and I pray for him, Noah, Jeff and you!!!
L,U.Ted

Dossy and Bossy said...

Thank you everyone for your kind birthday wishes! I've been having an excellent day so far, thank God.
Michelle: Thanks for such a lovely b-day wish and the kudos on motherhood...I appreciate it a lot! By the way, which Michelle is it? I know quite a few of them. Michelle that used to live with Amb.& Steven in Mexico?
You all make my day special. Tx!

Tory said...

its my sister, shelly

Jabberwocky said...

Well. if "marco and feli" is Michelle, as in, our honored niece, then WHO, pray tell, is Marco and feli? cats perhaps? awfully confused here.

Snooze. haney. It IS your special day, and never, EVER stop believing that special, I daresay wonderous things will happen on your birthday... because, you see, when that happens, you have officially grown up -- which means you'd have to stop believing in faries and mermaids. We'll never grow up haney. :) At least I promise not to. We lahv you SO much!! Happy, HAPPY birthday. (this is adrianne, btw)

crazynik said...

Marco & Feli is Smichelles...yes the one that used to live in Cuernavaca...I think the nieces are mixing you up.
heh

Feli said...

Hi Suzy--Happy Birthday! I had a hard time posting my comment since I don't have a blog, so I borrowed My Sister Feli's Blogger account so I could wish you a Happy Birthday! This is Michelle who used to live in Cuernavaca...love you lots and hope this next year will be a blast!!

Michelle

Amber said...

My crazy children post before they think.... HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUZ! You are wonderful and I hope this next year brings you great joy. I wish I could be there to give you a day off, but I hope it was a good day nonetheless. Sending lots and lots of love.

Tory said...

guess I was wrong then

Aimee said...

Happy Birthday Snooze!

James Rudow said...

This "snooze" thing.... did I generate that? If so, I am a very proud father, and it should most definitely go into wikipedia! It was great talking to you. You are a great gal, on your way to following in your super mom's footsteps and becoming jedai. Hang in there, it just gets better... look at *well, no names here*...
Anyway, I love you forever and ever.
Love, Daddiya

Dossy and Bossy said...

Thank you everyone! Such warm fuzzy feelings when I saw all the friends and family posting to wish me a happy birthday! I love you all & wish I could see you.

Sunny McNair said...

Happy Birthday, Girl! XOX!

About Me

I was born and raised in Japan and moved to the US about 15 years ago. I met my husband in California and we moved to Texas 9 years ago. We have lived in El Paso and Hewitt (near Waco). We are blessed with three beautiful children, Noah, Dillon and Zoe. I am currently an undergraduate at Baylor University majoring in Social Work.