Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A side order of donkey with your cheese?

So I have a few "funnies" that I have been hoarding up in my mind against just such a time as this, when the kids are occupied ALL AT THE SAME TIME for more than 3o seconds and I can write. We'll see how long it lasts.
First, Dilly. He's talking a lot now & can pretty much say anything he wants to, but it often comes out pretty garbled. The funny thing (and different than Noah) is that he will copy verbatim almost anything Noah says, or anything that Jeff or I say. He's like a little parrot. Anyway, this thing he does....I just think it's the cutest thing. Instead of saying "my this" or "my that", it's "mine". For example, "Doan touch the stove goan born mine handies". Or, being interpreted: "Don't touch the stove, it's going to burn my hands". Everything is "mine". And when he says it, I have this urge to snap my heels together and say, "Ya, mein fuhror" in the best German tradition.
And then just today he says something else that got me: we're having a snack and Noah got turkey and cheese. Dillon didn't want that, but after he's done with what he has, he decides he wants more, and is asking me for what sounds like, "donkey and cheese". I was completely nonplussed for a minute, and just sort of stared at him trying to figure it out, when DUH!! it hit me: donkey=turkey. He just got the animal wrong. It even sounds a lot a like, when you think about it. Donkey and cheese, please.

And then there's Noah, who is lately developing quite a mature sense of humor. He laughs at all the right places on the kiddie movies he sees, and can get almost any kind of low-brow joke. I can take responsibility for the advanced way his mind works, but the preference for toilet humor he has goes strictly to Jeff. I often find myself laughing along with him, just delighted in my big son's belly laugh to something that an adult would laugh at...when just 4 short years ago he was a baby. Tempus fugit.
So anyway, here's something that the Kiddy Viddie watchers of old will love: we're watching a Kiddy Viddie, the one with "He's got the Whole World in His Hands" on it. That song comes on & we're watching & kinda singing along, especially Noah. He's really getting into it, and then the 2nd verse comes on: "He's got the big, big fish...in his hands" etc. And if you know your Kiddy Viddie, a series of pictures come on to illustrate this, one of them being Eskimos posing near their igloo with a polar bear nearby. Noah is watching and suddenly bursts out, with not a little exasperation in his voice: "He's got the big big POLAR BEAR, you freaks!"
And lastly: he sometimes makes up words. The most recent one is "crooming". What does it mean? I asked him, and he said, "like when you take care of things, or put them in rows". Hmmm. Perhaps a mix of "groom" and "caring"? Who the heck knows? I thought it was funny.

3 comments:

Amber said...

Hilarious! Thanks for posting!

James Rudow said...

As usual....laughed and cried....

Great kids....great Mom and Dad...

Keep it comin' ....

Love,
Daddiya

Jabberwocky said...

this makes me laugh. :)

About Me

I was born and raised in Japan and moved to the US about 15 years ago. I met my husband in California and we moved to Texas 9 years ago. We have lived in El Paso and Hewitt (near Waco). We are blessed with three beautiful children, Noah, Dillon and Zoe. I am currently an undergraduate at Baylor University majoring in Social Work.